Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Women of Rock

Okay it's been a while...I've written a couple of posts then deleted...then written them again and then deleted them, they never seem to get posted...all my fault. I've been bouncing a question off a guy at work about women in rock for a while. Namely, where are they? Evanescence hit the scene a while back and Amy Lee made a big splash but that was it. Garbage was big but I haven't heard much from them lately. I knew there had to be something out there but it just didn't seem like I could find a female fronted group in the emo, nu-metal, rap-core group. My favorite radio station hasn't played a single song by a female artist since the aforementioned Evanescence until tonight. Tonight I heard (NOTE: iTunes needed for links) Flyleaf's (homepage) Fully Alive. Flyleaf seems to lean towards an emo flavor with songs like I'm so sick but throws some nu-metal melody with Cassie. Of course there's going to be a comparison to Amy Lee and Shirley Manson so here it is. Let's just say Flyleaf's front Lacey Mosely with a bright crisp voice is closer to Amy Lee's as opposed to Shirley Mansons seductive growl. You could almost expect a pop song out Lacey...but to much joy her lyrics contain none (joy that is). The lyrics roll more in the way in Garbage, she's not hurt she's angry. The music seems to be a little "underproduced" lending to the angry effect though my ear for this is not at all good yet. As a bonus, once started I was able to find my groove and located other groups like Lacuna Coil (thanks Krishen) or Nightwish I'll have more reviews on these as I listen to them...but until then if you've got more for me send it along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home