Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Boston and Flux

Welcome from Boston...love the buildings. I guess coming from Florida I NEVER see brownstones and they're all over the place here. Well after a day of travelling I'm exhausted...guess I shouldn't have started drinking beer so early. The Starbucks mocha just ain't keeping up. Did get to watch a new movie tonight. Aeon Flux. Pretty good, liked Charlize Theron. My biggest complaint is they went for a grand slam home run. They took a huge swing when they should be playing small ball. This means the movie is rushed in introducing characters and, setting up the conflict, and resolving a MAJOR conflict.

MAJOR SPOILER: Why does a rebellion movie have to end with the fall of the system? Set it up, play with it, have fun with it. The system in this case had a nice twist, guaranteed continuation of the human race or a single-shot existence. But the main character never even has a second thought on this....single minded with a single goal. The only inner-conflict of the main character is hollow....a decision that wouldn't have mattered in long run. The movie could have ended with the public finding out about the the experimentation and cloning. This would have left the movie at a good ending point and set up discussions on what the public would do...if the movie did well a second one could have picked up at that point. As it is there is really nowhere this can go now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Krishen said...

Interesting.. that's the second positive bit about Aeon I've read in the past two days, and while returning "A History of Violence" tonight I noticed many copies of Aeon were rented. The critics almost universally disliked it but I think that's sour grapes for not getting a preview. Thanks for the spoiler heads up, btw, I skipped that part of your post.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Krishen said...

Oh yeah, and here is that other positive bit I heard about Aeon Flux..

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home